February 29, 2016 § Leave a Comment
We discuss the trends and issues we observed during the weeks of February 16-18, 2016 as we flipped resources into our Flipboard magazine (http://bit.ly/trendsandissues). We have three trends that we discuss. The first is, again, continued news virtual reality. Virtual reality continues to be a topic that is being discussed. The recent Mobile World Congress in Barcelona helped fuel discussions about VR. The second trend was software updates. A number of popular software that are used in educational technology and instructional design saw recent updates. Google Translate, Skype, Twitter, and YouTube added new functionalities, for example. The third was online learning. A number of articles discussed the good and bad of online courses and programs. Finally, Open Educational Resources was the fourth trend we observed. Spurred on by the US Department of Education’s push for OER, we observed a spike in the discussion and coverage of open educational resources.
We have four recommended readings.
- Amazon Education to Launch Marketplace for Open Education Resources by Edsurge https://www.edsurge.com/news/2016-02-16-amazon-education-to-launch-marketplace-for-open-education-resources
- How VR and AR will be Training Tomorrow’s Workfoce by K.R. Sanjiv http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/21/how-vr-and-ar-will-be-training-tomorrows-workforce/
- Why Education Needs More Healthy Skeptics and Diehard Optimists like Larry Cuban by Mary Jo Madda https://www.edsurge.com/news/2016-02-19-education-needs-more-healthy-skeptics-and-diehard-optimists-like-larry-cuban
- Four Neuormyths that are Still Prevalent in Schools–Debunked by Bradley Busch http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2016/feb/24/four-neuromyths-still-prevalent-in-schools-debunked
To cite the Trends & Issues podcast:
Brown, A. & Green, T. (Producers). (2016, February 29). Trends and Issues in Instructional Design, Educational Technology, and Learning Sciences [Audio Podcast]. Retrieved from http://trendsandissues.com/
Our next podcast episode will be March 14, 2016
Episode 57 February 1-15 More VR, 2016 Ed Tech Predictions, 2015 Ed Tech in Review, and Online Learning
February 16, 2016 § 1 Comment
We discuss the trends and issues we observed during the weeks of February 1-15, 2016 as we flipped resources into our Flipboard magazine (http://bit.ly/trendsandissues). We have three trends that we discuss. The first is, again, continued news virtual reality. The primary focus was the push for content for virtual reality devices. There was also resources focusing on the expansion of the VR market, hardware critiques, and the increase of the consumer base for VR. The second trend was predictions for educational technology in 2016 and review of educational technology in 2015. Two major reports were made public: The Horizon Report for Higher Education and the Babson Study of distance education and online learning. The third was online learning. We observed microcredentialing, MOOCs, institutional support strategies, and the new digital divide being discussed in relationship to online learning.
We have five recommended readings for the week.
- Robotics and VR Loom on the Higher-Ed Horizon By Marguerite McNeal https://www.edsurge.com/news/2016-02-04-robotics-and-vr-loom-on-the-higher-ed-horizon
- Babson Study: Distance Education Enrollment Growth Continues by Company News http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/edtech-news-and-trends/babson-study-distance-education-enrollment-growth-continues/
- Eight Technologies that are Changing Education by Carl O’Brien http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/eight-technologies-that-are-changing-education-1.2513752
- Many Low-income Students Use Only Their Phones to Get Online. What are They Missing? by The Conversation http://theconversation.com/many-low-income-students-use-only-their-phone-to-get-online-what-are-they-missing-54213
- 30 Quotes on User-Centered Interaction Design by Tubik Studio https://medium.com/@tubikstudio/30-quotes-on-user-centered-interaction-design-ac01015a83bb#.lotto93dz
One final reminder: There is still time to vote in the AECT election if you are a member. Elections are open until February 27 at http://www.aect.org/election/ Abbie Brown for President Elect.
To cite the Trends & Issues podcast:
Brown, A. & Green, T. (Producers). (2016, February 16). Trends and Issues in Instructional Design, Educational Technology, and Learning Sciences [Audio Podcast]. Retrieved from http://trendsandissues.com/
Our next podcast episode will be February 29, 2016