Episode 71 Trends for September 8-25 VR, AR, Hardware & Software Releases, Internet Access & Security, and Design Strategies for Online Learning
September 26, 2016 § 2 Comments
We discuss the trends and issues we observed during the weeks of September 8-25 as we flipped resources into our Flipboard magazine (http://bit.ly/trendsandissues). We discuss four trends. The first is Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality. We observed VR and AR with relationship to marketing reports, content, and commentary on products and uses for instruction. The second trend was hardware and software releases. Three major releases were iOS 10, the iPhone 7, and MinecraftEDU. The third trend was internet access and security. The fourth trend, a minor one, was design strategies for online learning.
We have five recommended readings.
- Tim Cook Sees a Bigger Future for AR than VR by Ben Fox Rubin https://www.cnet.com/news/tim-cook-sees-a-bigger-future-for-ar-augmented-reality-than-vr-virtual-reality/
- OER: Free Like Beer, or Free Like a Puppy? by David Ciulla https://www.edsurge.com/news/2016-09-12-oer-free-like-a-beer-or-free-like-a-puppy
- US E-learning Market to Exceed to $40 Billion by 2020 by Chelsea Legendre Tim Cook Sees a Bigger Future for AR than VR by Ben Fox Rubin https://www.meritalk.com/articles/u-s-e-learning-market-to-exceed-48-billion-by-2020/
- The Trends and Challenges Shaping Technology in Schools by Katrina Schwartz https://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2016/09/16/the-trends-and-challenges-shaping-technology-adoption-in-schools/
- SnapChat Launches Video-Capture Sunglasses by Chris Johnston https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/24/snapchat-launches-video-capture-sunglasses-spectacles
Our next episode will air October 13.
To cite the Trends & Issues podcast:
Brown, A. & Green, T. (Producers). (2016, September 26). Trends and issues in instructional design, educational technology, and learning sciences [Audio Podcast]. Retrieved from http://trendsandissues.com/