Episode 74: Trends for October 17-30 Upgraded Computing Tools, Internet of Things, VR, & Proof-based Ed Tech Adoption
October 31, 2016 § 2 Comments
We discuss the trends and issues we observed during the weeks of October 17-30 as we flipped resources into our Flipboard magazine (http://bit.ly/trendsandissues). We discuss four trends. The top trend we observed was upgraded computing tools. Apple and Microsoft announced upgrade to products. Security of the Internet of Things (IoT) was the second trend that we observed. There were several resources discussing breaches of security of devices that can be considered part of the IoT. The third trend was Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality. The final trend was a focus on proof-based educational technology adoption. We observed resources focusing on how decisions for adopting and purchasing educational technology can be made based on data and research.
We have five recommended readings.
- Everything Announced at Microsoft’s Windows 10 and Surface Event by Darrell Etherington https://techcrunch.com/gallery/everything-announced-at-microsofts-windows-10-and-surface-event/
- Apple’s New MacBook Pros Arrive: A Great Redesign, but at a Price by Brooke Crothers http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/10/28/apples-new-macbook-pros-arrive-great-redesign-but-at-price.html
- US Department of Education Unveils Free Online Tool for Rapid Evaluation of Ed Tech Products by Mary Jo Madda https://www.edsurge.com/news/2016-10-28-u-s-dept-of-ed-unveils-free-online-tool-for-rapid-evaluation-of-edtech-products
- New Screen Rules for Kids, by Doctors by Hailey Middlebrook http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/21/health/screen-time-media-rules-children-aap/
- The Best UI/UX Design Books and Resources for Designers by Mockplus https://medium.com/@Mockplus/the-best-ui-ux-design-books-resources-for-designers-b1a68efb66dd#.eyp187tyu
Our next episode will air November 14.
To cite the Trends & Issues podcast:
Brown, A. & Green, T. (Producers). (2016, October 31). Trends and issues in instructional design, educational technology, and learning sciences [Audio Podcast]. Retrieved from http://trendsandissues.com/