Episode 82 Trends for February 11-26 AR, VR, Online Learning, and Security Issues
February 27, 2017 § 1 Comment
We discuss the trends and issues we observed during the weeks of February 11-26 as we flipped resources into our Flipboard magazine (http://bit.ly/trendsandissues). We discuss three trends that we observed. The first trend is augmented reality and virtual reality. There were a large number or resources in the news about AR and VR. One of the most compelling story lines was the increase in development of content. The second trend was online learning. There were a number of different resources relating to various aspects of online learning such as best practices and the costs of distance education. The third trend was security issues. While this trend was not as pronounced as the first two, there were a number of resources in the media.
Our recommended readings:
- Understanding Social Immersion, Improving Instructional Design are Vital To Keeping VR Around by Sri Ravipati https://campustechnology.com/articles/2017/02/21/understanding-social-immersion-improving-instructional-design-are-vital-to-keeping-vr-around.aspx
- Study Challenges Cost and Price Myths of Online Education by Carl Straumsheim https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/02/17/study-challenges-cost-and-price-myths-online-education
- Cloudbleed Bug: Everything You Need to Know by Patrick Holland https://www.cnet.com/how-to/cloudbleed-bug-everything-you-need-to-know/
- Are Teachers Becoming Obsolete? by Paul Barnwell https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/02/becoming-obsolete/516732/
- The IKEA Effect in Education by Tom Whitby http://edge.ascd.org/blogpost/the-ikea-effect-in-education
- Snapchat Spectacles Now Available to Purchase Online for $130 by Mitchel Broussard https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/20/snapchat-spectacles-online-for-130/
Our next episode will air March 13.
To cite the Trends & Issues podcast:
Brown, A. & Green, T. (Producers). (2017, February 27). Trends and issues in instructional design, educational technology, and learning sciences [Audio Podcast]. Retrieved from http://trendsandissues.com/