Episode 105 Trends for January 13-25: Hardware & Software, Digital Citizenship, Online Teaching & Learning, and Net Neutrality
January 26, 2018 § Leave a Comment
We discuss the trends and issues we observed during the weeks that include January 13-25, 2018 as we flipped resources into our Flipboard magazine (http://bit.ly/trendsandissues). We discuss four trends: hardware and software, digital citizenship, online teaching and learning, and Net Neutrality. The crystal ball is quite merky; it is unclear what the next two weeks will bring.
We have five recommended readings for this episode. They are:
- CES 2018: An Adventure Through Today’s New Tech for Learning by Hester Tinti-Kane
- You Spend Nearly a Whole Day Each Week on the Internet by Steven Musil
- Online Courses are Harming the Students Who Need the Most Help by Susan Dynarski
- Confounding Traditional and Open Online Courses by Joshua Kim
- FCC Blocks Two Cheapskate Tactics Internet Service Providers Wanted to Use by Ben Lovejoy
The next episode will air on February 9, 2018.
Brown, A. & Green, T. (Producers). (2018, January 26). Trends and issues in instructional design, educational technology, and learning sciences [Audio Podcast]. Retrieved from http://trendsandissues.com/
December 7, 2015 § 1 Comment
We discuss the trends and issues we observed during the weeks of November 24 – December 6 as we flipped resources into our Flipboard magazine (http://bit.ly/trendsandissues). We have three trends that we discuss. Once again, VR was a trend. There were a number of resources about uses of VR tools such as Google Cardboard and Expedition along with Samsung Gear and Sony’s PlayStation VR. The second trend are a variety of resources about online courses. The last trend we discuss is security and net neutrality. There were also two news-worthy items we passed along that are not trends: 1) the demise of Flash; actually, flash moving away from being an interactive development tool back to being an animation development tool; and 2) it is time again for the Hour of Code.
We have three recommended readings for the week.
- 5 Secrets to Awesome User Design by Amber Leigh Turner http://thenextweb.com/uxdesign/2015/12/01/5-secrets-to-awesome-user-design/
- 61 Ways You Know You are Talking to an Instructional Designer by Joshua Kim https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/technology-and-learning/61-ways-you-know-you-are-talking-instructional-designer
- 25 Things You Didn’t Know about Technology…Almost No One Knows about #7 by MMK http://www.architecturendesign.net/things-you-didnt-know-about-technology/
We also recommended the video interview with Dr. Kursat Cagiltay about smart toys. This can be found at http://theedtechdoctor.com/ (episode 39).
To cite the Trends & Issues podcast:
Brown, A. & Green, T. (Producers). (2015, December 7). Trends and Issues in Instructional Design, Educational Technology, and Learning Sciences [Audio Podcast]. Retrieved from http://trendsandissues.com/
Our next podcast episode will be December 21, 2015.